Thursday, April 19, 2012

WHAT GOLF MEANS TO ME

I took the game up in my 40s… plagued by a bad back… as a busy working professional with little time to play and essentially no time to practice…

Does any of this sound familiar?

I learned the game from an amateur champion who took the game up when she was 27, then on a dare from her husband that she could not attain a 3 handicap, practiced until her hands bled, and accomplished her goal.  So I have always felt motivated to practice, and have seen its direct correlation to success in shot-making and scoring.

Although, as previously stated, I was not a kid (chronologically or physically) when I started playing, and had an inherent schedule conflict with every plan to practice or play, nothing prevented me from falling in love with the game.

Why?  Because each time I tee off on 1, I am filled with an inner peace that I cannot find elsewhere.  My love for the outdoors and for all the beauty of nature is never more heightened than when I am enjoying a round of golf.  Yes, I admit that being on lawns that someone else has mowed, and walking past tiny patches of “ground under repair” without a shred of personal responsibility may contribute to my euphoria.  I contend, though, that it’s more than that.

If I did not experience the sublime when I played golf, what might I do when the demons inside and outside my head, and in total possession of my arms, hands and body got the better of me and began to systematically unravel what I thought was “my game?”  What would my Type A personality do then?  How would I ever be able, during that round from Hell when the disconnect between my capabilities and my execution becomes a chasm of chaos, to walk by so many ponds, lakes, streams and fluffy bunkers without throwing myself, or at least my clubs, in?

Am I alone?  Anyone with me in this labyrinth of agony and ecstasy?  Ah, yes, I see your heads nodding.  You too are in the web of this love-hate affair that sticks like some kind of psychic fly-paper. 

Well, brothers and sisters of the links, please know that WE are not alone.

Let’s welcome in our friends at the National Golf Foundation to summarize the results of their 2009 study.

Folks Like Us Who Call Themselves “Players”

2000  28.8 million
2005  30 million
2007  29.5 million
2009  28.6 million 

Reason for Decline in the Recent Past

Due to the struggling economy, many golfers are playing less or not at all.
Any Newcomers?
2008 1.7 million new golfers AND another 2.3 million who started playing again after not playing the year before.

Golf Economics
2008  $76 billion dollars was spent on the game

So, there it is.  The folks who no longer show up for our Saturday group are held back not because they lost their verve for our game – it’s their wallets that are keeping them off the links.  And our overall numbers aren’t plummeting, so out with the old, in with the new.  As old golf friends cycle out of the clan, we can welcome in a fresh batch at the turnstile.   We will share our Spring ritual with our new golf friends as together we polish our golf shoes, replace our worn soft spikes, and re-stock our bags with the new gloves, balls, and tees we just purchased. 

Let’s choose an anthem to give voice to our sunny Spring golf mood.  Raise a bottle of Gatorade and join me, won’t you?  What lyrical themes resonate with you?

For those of us who are lovers of (or just plain remember) the old show tunes:
Cockeyed Optimist from South Pacific
“I could say life is just a bowl of Jello, and appear more intelligent and smart; but I'm stuck like a dope with a thing called hope, and I can't get it out of my heart!”

Whistle a Happy Tune
“While shivering in my shoes, I strike a careless pose, and whistle a happy tune, and no one even knows I’m afraid”

Or for those whose musical preferences run more to the current day:
Sheryl Crow – Out of Our Heads
 “get out of our heads and into our hearts.”

Switchfoot – Dare You to Move
Welcome to the resistance, the tension is here, between who you are and who you could be; between how it is and how it should be.”

Whatever comes out of your heart and mouth as the spirit moves you, be assured that the same heart and mouth will run the gamut of emotions and expletives in every round you play.  In fact, I can even run almost that same range of feelings when I practice for an hour or so! 
“What a magnificent…/ what the heck was that bump in the green/ do I hear a whippoorwill?/ get out of my line when I’m putting!/ did you see the blossoms on that…/ are they ever going to mow this rough?!/ these azaleas remind me of Augusta/ why do I have to land in a divot that some son of a @#$ didn’t replace?!/ Ooh, look… the Canada Geese are back/ those $##@ birds leave their $%^ all over the green… can’t they get rid of them?!”

Once again, I welcome you all to our little game of joy and perplexity.  Oh yes, and please do check your pride card at the door, as the humiliation you will feel when you shank a 7 iron to within 10 inches of decapitating your cartmate will leave you exposed with nowhere to run to, and nowhere to hide.

And your self-esteem?  Unless you can take the term “long slice” and capitalize on long, ignoring slice, you will berate yourself until you’re inwardly feeling lower than a snake’s belly in a wagon rut.

Your prowess earned on the practice tee after 30 minutes of flawless shots from wedge to driver?  Watch it, pal… remember the adage “the longest drive is from the practice area to the first tee” was hatched from hard, frustrating experience.

Now that I’ve mentioned the word ‘frustrating,’ I really cannot count the number of ways this little gnat will crawl under your skin.  Putts that curl around the edge and back out? Frustrating.  Chips rolling along toward their targets that hit an unrepaired ball mark and veer off? FRUSTRATING.  Fairway shots that take bad hops into the rough (and below ‘see-level’)?  FRUSTRATING!!

So let’s take the most optimistic path as our mindset.  And let’s avoid the descriptive minefields along the way.  When we say “will all my shots be perfect?” there’s the minefield… that passive tense thing.   The passive “will all my shots be perfect” should be restated as “will I hit all my shots perfectly?”  And the answer, of course, is “Not a chance.”  “Will every club in my bag provide a consistent shot?” is most assuredly better replaced with “will I execute perfect shots with every club?” And, once again, we know that answer is “no.”

If we sincerely want to adopt a positive, optimistic mindset, let’s not stop at putting aside the passive tense. Let’s also stop externalizing fault for everything bad that happens.  “I can’t play in the wind.”  “The terrain is so wet from all the rain we’ve had.”  “The sun is blinding me.”  The birds are chirping so loud they distract me.”  HEY!  This is an outside game!!  If you like long manicured pathways but prefer no wind, rain, bright sun or bird noise, take up bowling, for Pete’s sake!!

Finally, there’s the personification of the golf ball.  Please, fellow hackers, stop with this one, okay?  As we approach our round, let’s promise to ditch the “come on, ball, give me a good bounce!”  and replace it with “I got a bad bounce.” Let’s not decry “my ball is sitting in a hole and gives me no chance” but rather “will I execute this shot despite the tough lie?”  

Now I watch golf, just like the rest of you.  I realize that when Mickelson stands over a tough lie and miss-hits the shot, the golf analysts don’t say “Phil miss-hit that shot.”  Oh, no.  They say “that ball came out hot.”  Even as the camera angle zooms in on the ball that the pro is approaching, the audience hears “Phil has a squirter lie.”  But when we watch PGA events and think about these professionals trying to live up to the expectations we place upon them, we need to separate that world from ours.  Really.

I urge each of us who seeks the positive path in golf, then, to man- (or woman-) up and take the pledge to use the active tense only… in good times and in bad.  Just as we earn the right to say “I pulled off a great shot,” we also must suffer the responsibility of a ‘lousy lie’ by saying “I missed that one.”  Then, back on our most optimistic path again, we can fully enjoy the game we all love for the 80% of the round when we are breathing fresh air in nature’s showcase and chatting and laughing with our buddies.  Yes, we will undoubtedly hate the game we all hate for the 20% of the round when we have those frustrating, disappointing, or infuriating moments of bad luck, bad choices, or bad shots, but then we can always employ what we are certain the golf gods employ when they watch us shoot 100+ and still return for another round… laughter.

So I’ll see you on the first tee soon.  Let’s be ready with a good night’s rest, the right clothing for the forecast, all the gear and paraphernalia into which we’ve poured our Spring fun money, and a positive and optimistic attitude.  Let’s commit that the best part of our game will be our attitude.  And let’s expect, fully and absolutely, that our 90 or so strokes will be mostly imperfect. 

Never forget, though, that it’s that one shot… that one glorious, click off the clubface shot… that soaring, perfect-trajectory missile of a shot… that, even if it waits until the 18th hole to show up, will etch in our memory and bring us back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment