Wednesday, November 22, 2017

THANKSGIVING 2017

Gratitude is a mark of spiritual maturity, often learned as a consequence of its opposite practice.  When we live in a state of expectation, entitlement, and ingratitude, we may chase away people and opportunities which would otherwise be ours.  Shaping our future can then become more difficult, as we feel alone and disconnected.

Americans set aside a day each year to think about the things for which we are grateful.  If we are lucky enough to spend that day in the company of spiritually mature people, and if we show them an attitude of ingratitude, we are more likely to be awakened to the chasm between us… in our actions and reactions, in our speech patterns, and in our perspective on everything around us.  They seem to be in a perennial state of happiness, and nothing negative seems to be able to permeate the positive shield around them.  We may react before really trying to understand the state in which they live, and from which they navigate the world.  We may hastily and mindlessly categorize them as “Pollyanish,” “unrealistic,” or just plain lucky to live in a world without pain or rejection.  But as our day together wears on, and we are equally and simultaneously faced with topics of conversation which may be considered controversial or subject to debate, it should become clear that their positive attitude is not borne of privilege, because this topic is new and fresh to us all.  It is not a result of their seeing the subject through rose-colored glasses, because they are obviously hearing the negative side of the debate at the same time and in the same way as we are.  And yet they are able to fashion their hopeful viewpoint in the broad light of day… clearly a different day than any we can conjure.

It would follow that we could take this moment as an opportunity for self-discernment.  Are we able to turn our perspective inside out and see the subject matter from a more positive, if not totally Utopian, vantage point?  And if we are able to budge off our knoll of unfriendly opposition, can we open to the feeling which comes over us like a wave of relief? 

Confucius famously said “It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.”   Perhaps he came full circle in his own life to experience this epiphany first-hand.  It is, after all, so much easier to find goodness than to seek evil, to enjoy the best in each other than to look for and point out our differences, and to live in kindness rather than to play “gotcha” at every possible opportunity.  Living is good when it is filled with goodness, and goodness is there to be seen and embraced, if only we don’t allow it to be crowded out with such energy-draining attitudes as resentment, bitterness, sarcasm and anger. 


Does gratitude make sense as a way forward to a happier life?  If it really makes sense to you that it might, on this Thanksgiving, find a positive person and start a conversation… and if gratitude suddenly finds a way into your heart, let it flow.  Memories of wonderful times spent in this wonderful world may well push out the angry antiques cluttering your sadness-filled attic.  This Thanksgiving may be the day that your “new normal” of living in gratitude begins.

13 comments:

  1. Luckie you write beautifully! Loved this and am going to share this with my friends and family.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Love you both,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckie - that is beautiful may I share it? I choose to be grateful. -Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly enjoyed reading this, Alexis. Although I try to live in gratitude because I have so very much to appreciate, I know I fall short. I'm so looking forward to Thanksgiving with my daughter and her family and several other folks. We always come together with so much love, and each of us shares what/who we are most grateful for.....besides the mountain of food. It already feels so special! Can't wait!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Dear Mainer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very enriching and thought provoking article. I really enjoyed reading it
    Lowell and I are so very grateful for everything we enjoy every day, first and foremost our good health, everything else is icing on the cake
    I feel like a lot of people feel we are polyanaish, but I will not let that change what I say or how I feel.
    Keeping in mind, what others think of me,is none of my business !!!!
    Miss speaking with you, look forward to seeing you in January
    Much love and wishes for a great Thanksgiving filled with Graditude
    Hugs
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful mind you have to put together such profound observations. Your e-mail was deeply appreciated and please keep us informed on any of your future thoughts. Love ya, Sid&Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexis, this is beautiful, true, and so timely for me. I love how you built around the progression of the thoughts and conversation around the table. Thank you for stirring the soul. Much love and happiest of Thanksgivings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alexis, Marge and Taco. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy thanksgivings!!! �� Big hugs Alexis,Margie and Taco- Dali

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, Alexis! You certainly are one of those positive people, and I'm so grateful to have you in my life.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Peace,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Alexis,

    Excellent post! When someone says to me, "How long do I have to be grateful for?"
    My reply: "Forever, the world runs on gratefulness and love."

    You said it more eloquently and covered it more in depth, than I ever could have. You were born with a gift for writing. I'm so happy for you that you are putting it to good use.

    May your guardian angel walk your every step, kiss your every breath and always protect you. Be safe, well and happy.

    Love,
    ~Judi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving, Dear Friend! - Jaya

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your blog!! Happy Thanksgiving!! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been busy but I wanted to be sure to tell you how much I enjoyed your Thanksgiving post to your blog. Your words are so true. I know I can speak for Elliot when I say we are both so very grateful for so many things.

    ReplyDelete