Friday, February 9, 2018

ENCOUNTERING SUFFERING AND HEALING

In his Angelus prayer in St Peter's Square in Rome on February 5, 2012, Pope Benedict XVI said that the heart immersed in God's love helps us confront and live through the experience (physical and spiritual) of illness.
Benedict’s message discussed the connection between healing the sick and accepting healing… that both the giving and the taking are a blessing, as “a salutary moment in which to experience the attention of others and to pay attention to others.”

Benedict points out that isolation is dehumanizing, so visitation and caring for the sick (and accepting that caring) is an anointing and makes everyone more human and fulfilled.  Human warmth, he added, brings comfort and profound serenity. 

For many of us, accepting care may be the harder part, but it is then that we give others the opportunity to open their hearts. The nature of man, in the midst of pain and suffering, is to remain in solitude and silence which, in this case, is ironically counterproductive. If we are suffering, we tend to push away the kindness of others. If we hear about suffering, we tend to be too busy to reach out.

Thomas Merton saw giving, or charity, as a sign of spirituality: 

“The whole of life is to spiritualize our activities by humility and faith, to silence our nature by charity.”

The charity of which Merton speaks breaks this human nature of “keeping to oneself.” It allows our spirituality a release through encounter. And from that allowed encounter comes a cascade of comfort, peace and joy.

In our study of silence, let us discern when to be silent and when to welcome others. In our solitude, let us commit to returning to community when we learn of another’s need.


To be human, to be real, to be near to another human is not the antithesis of solitude and silence... it is its end goal. I experience God’s love not for the fullness of my being, but to bring that love to you. When the God in me meets the God in you, it is a spiritual encounter. It lifts us both up. And we are both a step closer to spiritual maturity.

4 comments:

  1. You have been busy with another blog, thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was lovely & very appropriate for me at the moment. It’s very easy for me to give support to others, but not to receive it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing how timely this is for me right now.

    In my early days I was the one that noticed the needs of others that were sick and needed some help and I was happy I was able to afford them that comfort, to let them know that I love them and to help them get through each day.

    I never did it so they were beholding to me. I never did it so they felt indebted to me. I never did it to belittle them.
    I understand this passage so much - thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete