Friday, March 23, 2018

MY WORD


“Words stand between silence and silence: between the silence of things and the silence of our own being. Between the silence of the world and the silence of God. When we have really met and known the world in silence, words do not separate us from the world nor from other men, nor from God, nor from ourselves because we no longer trust entirely in language to contain reality.”
-Thomas Merton

Our spoken words, few and far between during our period of silence and solitude, have taught us something about their power.  Perhaps we have noticed that, in the absence of a conversation we might have had about another person, we have had more time to focus mindfully on our own inner growth.  The distractions of everyday living, often lived out in dramas large and small, have been turned off.  Gossip about events and people has been rendered insignificant.  Truth in our study of words spoken by men and women of great faith and intellect has loomed larger. 

When we return from any period of solitude and silence to a circumstance where we re-engage our spoken word, one of the ancillary benefits of our period of reflection will be that our word will take on a new, perhaps forever-altered, significance.

My word is my bond.  It holds the power of identification with who I am, and what I stand for.  It takes up space in my mind as I shape it, time in my day as I speak it, and a piece of my soul as I remember it.  My word also invokes reaction and response, which can have the power to stay with me and influence my journey.

A benefit we seek from silence and solitude is a re-commitment to living in truth and harmony on our outward journey, and as a consequence, finding peace and serenity in our inward journey.  For the rest of our lives, we will alternate between those two paths – inner reflection and outward encounter.   While we are reforming our mindset, perhaps we can think ahead about the ways in which our past behavior, through words and actions, has damaged our relationships with self and others, so that we may redirect our future behavior, words and actions toward a more purpose-driven identity.

What does my word say about me?

6 comments:

  1. You  are a gift from God.  I cannot imagine your research and total thoughfulness of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. ! Love your yesterday's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is powerful.
    I may write something similar in the future.
    Because it reminds me of a practice of Vin Scully.
    In big moments on the field, he would hush and allow the ambient noise to tell the story.
    His quiet was powerful, which made his subsequent words, well chosen in the quiet, seem like wisdom.
    We are afraid to surrender the control to ambient noise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staying strong in our faith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really enjoying reading your blog. You are very articulate in the way you present each topic.

    ReplyDelete