Saturday, May 12, 2018

DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR?

The song says,
“Do you hear what I hear?
Do you see what I see?
Do you know what I know?”

And from those lyrics we can put our faith in action.

For people of faith, action means taking what we hear, see and know from our spiritual journey, out to the world around us. When we are privileged to hear a passage from scripture or inspired writing, we can interpret and internalize it, but more importantly, share it with someone else. When we see healing through faith, we can celebrate it, but as importantly we can share its wonder with someone else struggling to believe. When we know spiritual nourishment through communion, or anointing, we can commit it to our souls and minds, but, more importantly, bring its essence to someone else.

It is in the words, the experiences and the knowledge by which we are inspired that we can change the world. Sometimes that inspiration comes organically, but I believe that, more often, it has been revealed from an external source so that we can carry it forward.

Consider the cathedrals of your life. Of course they are majestic stone structures, but they are also gardens and aviaries and nature’s settings where we hear the song of a whippoorwill, see the beating wings of a hummingbird, or know the smell of a rose. Whatever sensory input gives us inspiration toward uplifting our hearts, minds and souls, we can share it with someone else. That, to me, is faith in action.

You may be deaf, or institutionalized in a prison.  But I want you to hear what I hear. I want you to hear that sound of the whippoorwill.

You may be blind, and isolated. But I want you to see the beating wings of that hummingbird.

You may be bedridden, or 1,000 miles away. But I want you to know the fragrance of that rose.

In the journey connecting spirit to spirit, I can bring all those things to you. Wherever you are and wherever I am, we can connect.

I hope you are inspired as I am, to make it be a part of your journey from this day forward to ask, then answer the question:
“Do you hear what I hear?”

4 comments:

  1. I’ve been enjoying your blogposts, makes me feel like you’re sitting here and we’re having a conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy again , you never stop.
    Thanks for this, you make me think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sooo beautiful, and it reminds me of the psalmist’s words:

    Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
    11 Do not cast me from your presence
    or take your Holy Spirit from me.
    12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
    and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
    13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
    so that sinners will turn back to you.
    14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
    you who are God my Savior,
    and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
    15 Open my lips, Lord,
    and my mouth will declare your praise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning!
    Your blog was beautiful. We have to stop running and then patiently see the wonders of our world and learn to share the wonder. You do all of that beautifully. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete