Wednesday, May 30, 2018

SHUB


The ancient Hebrews used a term in the Torah called “Shub.” It meant conversion or transition, allowing a person to “turn” or move from one space in his soul to another.

In the 1950’s, Pete Seeger was inspired by Ecclesiastes to write lyrics reminding us of the turning from one season of life to another:

“To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven.”

Perhaps, in your life today, you’re going through a time of conversion, or turning. It might be dark, but it can be promising. Let it happen. It’s Shub. The ancestors of our Jewish brethren did it before us, and it allowed them to convert - to move “from glory to glory.”

In an ever-changing and complex world, joy and sorrow are alternating visitors to our doorsteps. In a moment, your life can completely change. Often without notice, you are called to Shub.

We know we cannot be prepared for all that life will bring to us. In faith, may we find the strength and resilience of our inner spirit to face the turn set before us, and to forge a pathway “from glory to glory.”

6 comments:

  1. Interesting, thank you.
    I feel like I am on a merry go round some days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful way with words and always thought provoking.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My three favorite "mantras": It could be so much worse...My mind is finite; God's is Infinite. I don't know why this is happening, but my faith is strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I wasn’t familiar with that word.
    So Moses went from a burning shrub to a burning shub.
    Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy your blogs that also bring me in touch with you in a deeply thoughtful way as you write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I’m in a major Shub
    Amazing, sometimes painful beyond measure, but at the same time showing me how the love of others can enrich and encourage me, as they lead me through this Shub. What a journey
    Thank you for teaching me a new word and helping me understand it.

    ReplyDelete