Wednesday, April 18, 2018

HEART TO HEART

At least once every night my little dog hops into my bed, burrows under the covers, and snuggles to nestle her ear into my chest to hear my heartbeat.  She is what’s known as a “rescue,” although those of us with furry friends bearing that moniker know well its real application is mutual.

In the predawn hours yesterday, as I felt her asserting herself into her usual position and then listened as her breathing, slow and steady, signaled her departure into her dreamworld, I allowed my own mind to follow.  In a near-trance of comfortable drowsiness, I received phrases which came at me in a series of imaginings…

Innocence in Intimacy. Love Beyond Loving. Heart to Heart.


How many times in our lives do we encounter another sentient being capable of this simplest, and yet most profound nearness and openness?

In little children we see the same innocence and beauty, totally void of guile or ambiguity.  We were children once… can’t we rightfully expect to retain some share of this wonder?  Or does the process of maturing into adulthood cause us to squander the innocence we somehow seem to have lost?

I remember the 1980s when author Leo Buscaglia, a PhD who ably personified his nickname “Dr. Love,” made famous the practice of greeting others with ‘the hug.’ His book “Love” proclaims: 

“It is not deeply philosophical nor complicated. It is about daring to expose oneself. To be vulnerable and to give without reservation or expectation.”

Reading that, I can’t help thinking of the very same lesson my dog conveys as she snuggles against me…

Innocence in Intimacy. Love Beyond Loving. Heart to Heart.



It’s a lesson for the ages.  It’s not deeply philosophical, nor is it complicated.  And it can come to life in each of us, starting today.

10 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that I especially enjoyed this blogpost, being the proud Mom of two very sweet "rescues," who both bring such joy, laughter, and fun to our lives as we interpret their behavior completely to our own liking. Even during the tough times, these little treasures can lighten anything.....and help us to remain open to anything others have to offer. Such amazing blessings! Who rescued who?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very precious. As usual��
    Why is it that I love so much the people who show such love toward me? Conditional love? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this one, Alexis! My friend & I went to see Leo Buscaglia when he spoke in Sacramento once. We even got to hug him! He was a very special guy & he had a sense of humor, too. I will never forget him talking about how his whole big Italian family would put together a picnic lunch & go for a drive on the weekend. The car would inevitably break down & that is where they would decide to have their picnic lunch. That’s making lemonade out of lemons!! It must have overheated or something simple because they would always manage to get back home somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I am truly enjoying your blog. You have a wonderful gift with words. I love them and am thankful you included me

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a sweet and powerfully simple observation of love and nature. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was lovely and very moving. I am one of those touchy, feely, people. After our stretch and mobility class, I initiated the hug/ backrub. We line up, in a circle, arms around each other and then proceed to give each other back rubs; It isn't for everybody! But those of us who do participate, always sigh and exclaim: "Best part of the class."

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I enjoy your intimate story and experience with Taco heart to heart ,I remember how I learned at Haven to be with other human beings ( not as cute as Taco) in quiet embrace, and feel truly connected in some kind of perfect way.......heart to heart. Quiet breath to breath. Another healing level of being. How beautiful that u have such a willing and consistent source of this intimate comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy reading it, almost like having a personal "weekly sermon." Your latest Innerconnectedness and Heart to Heart were especially good. Our dog Rita sleeps part time with Sue and part time with me on recliner. She jumps into my lap and lays crosswise so I can hug her with both arms and hands. She will stay like that until she thinks I am sleeping and then she goes in with Sue on the big bed. I wake up later and she might be next to me on the couch with her butt or head touching me but not actually being on me. She is very loving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful and holy.

    ReplyDelete