Saturday, March 16, 2019

SOMEONE WHO KNOWS YOU


I recently had a weeklong visit with my cousin Diane and clearly, in retrospect, it was long overdue. Many of you know Diane from this blog, as she has featured in many of our stories. Although telephone- and cyber-connected over the years, we have not been under the same roof overnight for over nearly two decades.

From our first morning, it was as if a magical time machine had us climbing trees, dangling feet along a riverbed, and playing baseball (there was also a storybook about the birds and the bees which our mothers were sure would put to rest any need for uncomfortable Q&A, but which unearthed more Q than A). From morning to evening we shared matters of the heart, updated each other on important personal issues, and reminisced.

The intimacy of our reunion and its enduring aftermath is not something I can put into words. But when she and I discussed whether I could put any of our visit out to our blog readers, we felt compelled to encourage others to seek out and bond with a loved-one. Someone who KNOWS you to talk to. If that someone can be of your family of origin, even better.

There are tiny bits in each of us that may call out to be reconciled. They need to be shared, talked through, in order to be better understood. But without the framework of early life context, adult conversations can prove to be either fruitless or just too much work. How much richer are our discussions when many truths about ourselves are already known or at least experienced. In our case, we found an innate ability to shortcut details (punctuated by lots of nodding), as those settings and that background were already experienced and understood.

And so the purpose of this blog is simply to encourage you to think about issues you may want to relive, reconsider, reframe, or dismiss. Find the person in your life who has known you the longest, with whom you share as many intimate details as possible, and reach out.

Try it. It might just change your life, as it did ours... and we are still synthesizing how we feel after our time together.

Our visit resonates with me constantly throughout my day.  It’s uncanny how similar we are. Even different in some ways, we still have unconditional sincere love and respect for each other. 

To have someone I love, who has known me from birth, and who knows me to my core, sacrifice time and attention in such a complete and loving way, touched me more profoundly than I can express.

We recommend an in-person, uninterrupted reunion, with no plan except letting words and stories and heart matters flow. It may result in hours of laughter and tears and emotions not felt in years. Your conversations may feel like onion-peeling, as you go deeper and find new truths. You may wake up each morning refreshed even though sleep-deprived. And you may find the only word you don’t want to share is “goodbye.”


12 comments:

  1. What a lovely blog! I have been fortunate that, after all our adult lives spent in separate corners of the country, both my sisters and I now live within minutes of each other here on Whidbey. Although we had seen each other probably once a year in those intervening years, it is a real treat to be with people who have known me from birth, as you put it. (I am the youngest.) One of those sisters is the one with whom I hike, when I take many of my pictures — so an even bigger treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had that conversation last night with an old friend who had been my boss in MN... professional person who has moved for employment a lot... like an older sister to me... was good to talk about old times, gave me great insight.
    Thank you for sharing your blog,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great share on your visit! Unfortunate thing I’ve noticed is when I get together with siblings who I don’t see much, quite often they’re buried in their cell phone and I feel sad and of small consequence in their lives.☹️I told my husband he needs to put the damn thing down when I try and talk to him. I know I’m guilty too, we all are, but it’s a problem that really bothers me. A blog on that needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! Thank you. “See you tomorrow.” ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your ability to articulate thoughts in such a clear and concuse way, and to talk about issues which are important but rarely brought out for us to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s really nice, Alexis. And once again you have written it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cousin Jan comes to mind....I must call her soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was absolutely lovely. I am so happy that you had such a great time together. As I was reading the second paragraph, first line, the first thing that popped into my head was: Alexis does not climb trees...but Lucky does! LOL
    Also, where's the conversation about food? When I reminisce, food always finds its way into the discussion. I hope that you discussed food. ��������������������������

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful and brings to mind how fortunate I am to have people in my life that I could see tomorrow after a long separation and it would feel like we never left each other on our way to where we are today. I am actually very grateful for the electronic ways we can connect today because it is not likely we will be seeing each other in person anytime soon. Sharing in any way we can is still very rewarding. It is especially rewarding when those involved have the same love and respect for what was our past. My cousin Doug is one of these people who is very active in making movies and reporting memories of our childhood. When he produces one of these gems he brings many of us together and the memories, thoughts and some questions come rushing out. Every family should have a “Doug”. I love him very much and am so grateful for his love and appreciation of our rich and funny and rewarding past.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m confident many of our relationships are eternal. To my mind reincarnation is part of our natural system of being and those we are close to have always been so.
    As I get older I keep developing my big Theory of Everything and it’s what keeps me so fascinated with the wonders of physical life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Alexis, and thank you for starting this conversation.

    ReplyDelete