Monday, September 6, 2021

TURNING SEASONS AND MEMORIES

It’s Labor Day, and the season is starting its turn from heat and humidity to crisper, cooler air.  As leaves turn, minds and hearts turn with them… from summer’s freedoms to fall’s structure.  And for many of my friends whose lives were spent laboring in the field of academics, the connection from play back to work is in the air… even in retirement.

I sent a few messages like this one (modified for privacy) to a few friends whose work lives epitomized the contribution to society which only a passionate teacher can make. 

The retired teacher friend with whom I had the following exchange sacrificed top salary to be able to deliver education in a setting which was values-based and allowed smaller classes and closer teacher-student attention.


My email:

What a great day for you to celebrate the fruits of your labor. Think of the hundreds and hundreds of students over the years whose lives have become better and more enjoyable thanks to your able hand! Happy Labor Day!

 

Her response:

Happy Labor Day to you too. I still get a twinge every year at this time of year...I was sorry to see the summer over but excited to start a new year with new and some old "kids" depending on what courses I was assigned. Also it was always a day to celebrate my husband’s and my son’s birthdays. There was always a big celebration in our back yard with lots of family! Today I am sitting here by myself thinking about all the hectic years. I have already been see my granddaughter and her husband, my great-grandchild and great-granddog on Saturday, and my daughter and son-in-law arrived too. So I have had my family fix for a while!!  So I think I might just cool it for the day with no guilt!!!

My reply:

I think often at this time of year of the change of seasons of how vivid and important our memories become.

As Simon and Garfunkel said:

A time it was, and what a time it was, it was

A time of innocence
A time of confidences

Long ago it must be
I have a photograph
Preserve your memories
They're all that's left you”

-from Old Friends/Bookends

 

Although that ending used to feel a bit negative to me, I think age has given me a better perspective. The memories which we choose to retain allow us to reflect on a discreet series of wonderfully rich vignettes. And if they are all that’s left us of the past, they create for us a lovely virtual photo album to page through with pride, humility, wonder, and gratitude.

 Your examples of your annual ritual of returning to school and your family birthday celebrations validate my point. You have filled your album with happy vignettes to remember. Good for you.

 

A life well lived is a life well remembered!!

 

 

9 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for this....I am trying!
    xo��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely thoughts as always from you to us all. As we await the end for my sister your thoughts and words about photographs and memories are a comfort.
    Thank you for being you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice message! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You certainly know how to turn a few simple words into a great blog!!! I loved your reference to Simon and Garfunkel... their words validate it all. I guess I will have to be careful what I write.,, Ha ! Ha! I have already forwarded your blog to my daughter and granddaughter. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cherish the wonderful memories of you catching fish off my boat.
    I relive those memories often love ya...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! What a gifted writer you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely exchange! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really lovely. I’m sorry I didn’t give you much to think about!

    ReplyDelete