Monday, January 14, 2019

TO BEAR, TO HOLD, TO HARBOR


There’s a memorable line in the movie The Little Mermaid, uttered in self-deprecation by the character Sebastian the Crab. When asked who was responsible for the chaos that surrounded him, Sebastian responded pitifully “I blame myself.”

Sebastian has something there. So many of the instances of disagreement, disorder, and yes, chaos in our own lives can be traced to our admission “I blame myself.”

I’m thinking specifically of the three areas of ill will, grudges, and resentment. Our own lexicon of word usage points the pincer of blame right back at ourselves in absolute Sebastian-like fashion.
We bear ill will.
We hold grudges.
We harbor resentment.

We are the cause of the lasting disorder when we bear ill will.

We are the reason for perpetuating the disagreement when we hold a grudge.

And yes, we are the root of the chaos when we harbor resentment.

We can invert the situation to see how quickly the negative can become positive.

Drop the ill will... stop the lasting disorder.

Let go of the grudge... end the disagreement.

Nip the resentment, kill the chaos.

Perhaps a visual image of Sebastian can be brought to mind each time we even think about the silliness of bearing ill will, holding a grudge, or harboring resentment. Why would we expend energy by making a choice that not only brings on negativity, but perpetuates it?

More importantly, how many relationships can we save by invoking Sebastian’s lesson?

Imagine...
learning the silliness of being crabby...
from a crab!

12 comments:

  1. All a good message! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing something that is so very true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever, Alexis. You’re so smart to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant!
    I was holding a grudge that I forgot that I was holding. When it was brought to my attention I let it go and there was no longer any friction. Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. More food for thought. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two quotes attributed to the Buddha come to mind:
    “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
    and
    “Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.”

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try very hard to not hold a grudge since I understand that in doing so, it’s me drinking the poison

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy your blog. A lot has been going on in my life. So, this helps alot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always say to new people in the meeting that we make our own misery. You have listed all the ways we accomplish just that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alexis, this is great! Learning about being crabby from a crab……how cute is that?!

    ReplyDelete